Is neck pain troubling you?
Try these tips and exercises to get rid of neck pain.
Our body has to face many health problems and pains now and then to cope up with the fast-running time. However, among all the common health problems, neck pain cases are increasing day by day. No wonder, the reason is excessive use of electronic devices, poor body postures, along many others. Neck pain is a common problem, but it doesn’t start overnight. It takes time to develop and thus, also takes time to relieve. Neck pain hardly connects to some serious health issues but annoying for sure. Let’s have a look on the cause of neck pain.
Causes of neck pain:
- Muscles strain
- Osteoarthritis or Spondylosis
- Worn joints
- Nerve compression
- Putting more weight on the neck, by tilting your head forward, even by 15 degrees.
- Poor posture
- Sitting in same position for long time
- Sleeping with your neck in a bad position
- Jerking, while exercising or any other activity.
- Neck pain is one of the symptoms of heart attack, with other symptoms as well.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Herniated cervical disk
- Spinal stenosis
- Herniated disk
- Disc degeneration
- Trauma of an accident or injury
- Old age, due to weak muscles
- Mental stress
- Overweight or obesity
- Too long driving or travelling
- Working long hours on electronic devices
- Keeping your neck down more often or for long time, due to smartphone etc.
- Carrying heavy bag packs on shoulders
Some rare conditions:
- Spine cancer
- Congenital abnormalities
Must visit your doctor if your are having symptoms of:
- Unusual severe neck pain
- Bladder or bowl dysfunction
- Fever weakness
- Swollen glands
- Inability to touch the area between your chin and chest.
- Inability to move your arm or head
- Trouble swallowing
- Trouble breathing
- Pain, radiates down your arms or legs
- Lump in your neck
- Chills or fever
- Unexpected or unusual weight loss
- Any accident
- If pain persist for long time
- Neck pain accompanied by numbness
Symptoms of neck pain:
- Severe pain while keeping your neck at the same position for long time.
- Persistent aching
- Stabbing pain
- Tenderness or sensitivity to mild pressure
- Muscle tightness or spasms
If not chronic, neck pain will vanish within few days or one – two weeks. But in case of chronic, it may continue till few months, or in rare cases, to 2 – 3 years. But it is hardly so.
Some check – ups you may have to do:
- X – ray
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Computed tomography scan
- Blood test
- Nerve conduction scan
- Magnetic Resonance imaging
Let’s move to some exercises that will give you relief from neck pain:
If you have a little pain, then you can easily get rid of it by cold or hot compress. Compression will help your muscles to calm down and make your condition better for sure.
But if compression doesn’t work for you, then you can do these exercises.
Alwaysconsult your doctor first, before opting for any kind of exercise or medication.
Always do some stretching before performing any of the exercises.
- Neck glide: Firstly, keep your neck and head straight. Now, slightly move your neck in a forwarding direction, but keep your should as it is. Stay in this position for 5 seconds, and then return to normal position. Do this 10 times.
- Neck bend and rotation: Sit or stand straight, tilt your neck to the right such as your neck, and trap muscles should stretch. After about 7 to 10 seconds, move your neck in a counter-clockwise direction slowly. Do the same on your left side and also stay there for 7 to 10 seconds. Now complete the rotation to where you started. Do this in a clockwise direction. Repeat 2 to 3 times this exercise.
- Wall angels: Place your back completely soften against the wall. Extend your arms out, such that your body forms a “T” shape against the wall. Now, bend your elbows to make a 90° angle. Slowly move your arms up and down in a “snow angel” motion, ensuring that they stay flat against the wall, whole time.
When your fingers touch above your head, return to the starting position. Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions each.
- Neck extension: Slowly move your head, with the help of your neck, backward, such that you can see upward. But, while doing so, keep your body and back straight, don’t arch or bend it. Stay in this position for 5 seconds and the return to your starting position.
- Shoulder shrugs: Look straight ahead. Slowly raise your both shoulders up. Stay in this position for 5 seconds and then come back to your initial position. You can do this exercise 10 times, in a go.
- Deep stretching: Sit comfortably, bend your neck such as your head fall towards your shoulder. You can hold your head with your hand to keep the position, for 30 seconds. Then return to your initial position. Repeat this 3 times in one go.
- Resistant presses: Be straight while performing this exercise. Place your palm of the left hand on your forehead, and give a slight pressure for 5 seconds, and then come back to your starting position. Keep your body relax, and again place your palm of the right hand just above your back neck area i.e. back of the head, slightly pressurize there for 5 seconds and again come back to your initial position and get relax.
Important tips to follow:
- Always be in correct body posture. Correct body posture means — Your shoulders should be in straight over your hips, and your ears should over your shoulders directly. This posture should be maintained while both, sitting or standing.
- If you have to work or sit for long hours continuously. Then taking break after every 30 minutes is a must. Break means stand up, walk or do some exercise to make your body parts active.
- Always maintain good distance between your eyes and screen. The screen should be at your eye level, knees should be slightly lower than your hips and don’t hesitate to use your chair’s armrest, if needed.
- Go for a bone density test of needed. Include enough calcium and Vitamin D in your meals.
- Exercise regularly, if you can’t do exercise then go for a walk or jogging, at least 30 minutes daily.
- Avoid tucking the phone between your ear and shoulder, instead use headphone, earphone or you can open the speaker of your phone.
- To avoid neck strain, or is important to carry luggage bags instead of heavy bag packs on your shoulder.
- Sleep in a good position. And a quality sleep too. Avoid use of too many pillows while sleeping.
- When the power of your eyewear is not updated, then you tend to lean your head to see better. Which affects not only your back head but neck also. So keep your eye wears updated regularly.
Do some exercise, eat healthy, and follow all these tips to get rid of your neck pain.